- ½ pound smoked ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 seasoning peppers (or substitute 2 Yellow Wax Hots), seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ Congo pepper (Habanero), seeds and stem removed
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped fine including the tops
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 large breadfruit, peeled and cut into 8 sections (or substitute canned breadfruit)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place the ham in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the ham is tender, skimming off any foam that rises. Drain the ham and set it aside.
Heat the oil and sauté the onions, peppers, garlic, Congo pepper, green onions, and thyme for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the coconut milk, heat, and then add the breadfruit sections, the ham, and salt and pepper.
Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the breadfruit has absorbed all the coconut milk. Serve hot.